Vegan Parsnip Shepherds Pie
Ingredients and Method
- For the mash:
- 600g Parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 Large potato (approx 300g), peeled and chopped
- 50g Vegan butter
- 2-3 tbsp Unsweetened dairy-free milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- (Optional) 1/4 tsp Ground nutmeg
- For the filling:
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 Large carrot, peeled & diced
- 1/2 Stick of celery, diced
- 3 Cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Plain flour
- 1 tsp Marmite (yeast extract) or miso paste
- 500ml Vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Tomato puree
- 200g Vegan frozen soy mince
- (Optional) 50g Frozen peas
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan / 200C / 400F / gas mark 6.
- Peel the parsnips and potatoes. Roughly chop into small chunks and put in a saucepan, covering with cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for approximately 20 minutes or until the vegetables are very soft.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion, carrot, celery and garlic for about 5 minutes on a medium heat, to soften. Add the flour, marmite and stir for a minute to combine, before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Give everything a good stir and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer to an oven dish and prepare the mash.
- One the parsnip and potatoes are cooked and soft, drain and return to the pan. Add the vegan butter, milk and seasonings. Give everything a good mash, adding more milk if needed.
- Dollop the mash on top of the mince mixture in the oven dish and smooth into an even layer with the back of a spoon. Use a fork to score lines across (this will create a crispier topping). Cook for 30 minutes until golden brown and oozing gravy out of the sides. Enjoy!