How To Set A Table
For formal dinners, follow these simple guidelines for setting your table:
- Place a dinner plate in the centre of the setting and lay forks to the left of the plate and knives and spoons to the right. Place your cutlery in the order that it will be used starting from the outside.
- Knife blades should be facing towards the plate and fork prongs facing upwards.
- Lay dessert fork and spoon above the place setting with the fork pointing to the right and the spoon above the fork pointing to the left.
- Place side plates to the left of the setting.
- If serving salad and soup, place the salad plate on top of the dinner plate and the soup bowl on top of the salad plate.
- If you are folding your napkin in a simple way then place it on the side plate. If you are folding it in a more complex way then put it in the centre of the setting or on the side plate.
- Place a water glass and wine glass to the right of the place setting just above the table knife. If serving both red and white wine include a glass for each.